This position will be responsible for providing absent coverage for drivers within the department who are not available for their shifts (due to vacation, illness, etc.). This position will also provide coverage for all specialty appointments when not covering regular routes. This includes all special assistance needed by all clients requiring transportation services to/from home to senior care facilities as well as to/from specialty appointments. In addition, is responsible for complying with all DOT regulations.
Start of Route will begin at Los Angeles Transportation department. Routes will be either LA or OC
1. Transport and give special assistance to all participants requiring transportation service as required by senior care program.
2. Assists each passenger to assure safe entry and seating, including pick-up at when authorized by management; curb to curb service; fastening of safety belts on both ambulatory and wheelchair passengers. Provide standby assistance for all passengers coded as stand-by, or at risk of falls, soon as determined by the program.
3. Assist in the development of routes and route structures to improve route times and efficiencies. Provide weekly feedback and analysis on route structures and performance.
4. Provide additional assistance to clients requiring special attention due to their physical and/or cognitive disabilities (i.e. hard of hearing, visually impaired, dementia, etc.).
5. Ensure proper use of wheelchair tie downs; demonstrate proper usage of body mechanics for wheelchair transfers.
6. Executes defensive driving, showing good judgment and extending road courtesy to others.
7. Maintaining all required logs (daily trip sheets, CHP inspection forms) and daily submittal of all medication delivery slips, not at home notices, etc.,
8. Performing complete morning and evening vehicle inspections and documentation as required by CHP; this includes reporting all safety hazards and utilizing a back-up vehicle as assigned.
9. Be responsible for maintaining, supporting and promoting a safe work environment while complying with all DOT safety rules, polices, and procedures.
10. Perform other related duties as assigned.
1. A Class B (with P endorsement for multiple passengers) driver’s license required, with no points preferred.
2. Minimum two years driving experience required and experience working with geriatric and/or frail elderly population preferred.
3. Ability to obtain a LA DOT city permit.
4. Current First Aid/CPR required.